Computer: Input Device: Gaming
Manual Arrow Keys to Joystick Converter   (+5, -1)  [vote for, against]
For when the arrow keys don't provide enough tactile feedback.

Even though so many games can be played with the keyboard's arrow keys, for some things nothing's better than a good old joystick.

This is a plastic cap that's shaped to fit over the arrow keys. A joystick protrudes from the top of the cap. Inside the cap, four downwards-pressing widgets correspond to the keys. When the joystick is moved in a certain direction, the widget corresponding to that arrow key presses the key. Diagonals could optionally press a combination of keys, such as down+left or up+right.
-- DrWorm, Aug 16 2010

US patent 5640179 http://v3.espacenet...US&NR=5640179A&KC=A
A joystick converter apparatus for use with computer keyboard arrow key arrays [xaviergisz, Aug 16 2010]

US patent 4786768 http://v3.espacenet...US&NR=4786768A&KC=A
Arrow keys on the keyboard of a desktop computer, computer terminal or displaywriter which control the movement of a cursor are actuated by a manually operated mechanical device resting over the keyboard [xaviergisz, Aug 16 2010]

Keyboard Joystick.
[2 fries shy of a happy meal, Mar 22 2015]

Sounds like a good idea. It also sounds eerily familiar.

A press of the [ key, then the + key and the ] key.
-- baconbrain, Aug 16 2010

Ah! Thanks, [xaviergisz]. I'll have to get me one of those!
-- DrWorm, Aug 16 2010

hah! nice [+]
-- FlyingToaster, Aug 16 2010

Yes, very baked, though soooo long ago it has faded into obscurity. These days I believe you can still get it's distant offspring as keyboard overlays for children who can do stuff like move Pirates around a ship that have extensions that press on different keys.
-- MisterQED, Aug 16 2010

Links are dead.
Picture's worth a thousand words. [link]
-- 2 fries shy of a happy meal, Mar 22 2015

random, halfbakery