Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
I like this idea, only I think it should be run by the government.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.

user:
pass:
register,


         

Traffic Meter

5 foot "traffic meter" before the junction displays traffic situation
 
(0)
  [vote for,
against]

Driver stress and additional traffic congestion is exacerbated because drivers often cannot tell how bad traffic is until they have already committed to a driving route.

For example, there are two routes to work - the tunnel is faster on 80% of the days, but on the other 20% it's gridlocked. By the time you drive up the on-ramp and see the jam you're scr*wed.

I have seen traffic webcams - but who can access the internet while driving? Alternatively, a big projection TV screen could show the condition of traffic at the key intersection - but light levels are a problem and the equipment is too pricey.

Instead, a 5 foot tall "traffic meter" (like a sound level indicator) before the junction could display the traffic situation.

FloridaManatee, Sep 03 2003

Honest traffic sign http://www.tardsite.com/creamed.htm
[krelnik, Oct 04 2004]

[link]






       Baked in many large cities, including the one I live in. They have huge scoreboard-like signs over the road every so often that tell you about any traffic problems ahead. The text on the signs is put up by folks who monitor those traffic cameras.
krelnik, Sep 04 2003
  

       The George Washington Bridge in NYC has a sign that tells you whether to take the upper or lower bridge, based on traffic flow...
dbsousa, Sep 04 2003
  

       See link for an example of one with refreshing honesty.
krelnik, Sep 04 2003
  
      
[annotate]
  


 

back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle