Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
Number one on the no-fly list

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Please log in.
Before you can vote, you need to register. Please log in or create an account.

Upside down plug

For tidier appliances
  (+7, -2)
(+7, -2)
  [vote for,

If I have a lamp on a shelf above a socket why does the wire have to come out of the bottom of the plug and then curl back upwards? Why can't it just come out of the top, and go straight up? Same goes for appliances to the left or right.
Mony a Mickle, Nov 12 2008

Rotating Sockets http://www.psfk.com...les-over-plugs.html
[theGem, Nov 13 2008]

Pivoting sockets http://www.cyberguy...asp?productID=17698
[theGem, Nov 13 2008]

Baked http://i122.photobu...neteenthly/plug.jpg
Right here, right now [nineteenthly, Mar 12 2010]


       At such places, you can just fit the socket upside down..   

       unscrew, rotate (make sure wired dont short), screw
kamathln, Nov 12 2008

       Good idea! [+]
MaxwellBuchanan, Nov 12 2008

       The cord on my battery backup does what Mony is talking about.
Eugene, Nov 12 2008

       The wires come out of the plug downwards so that the electrons do not have to struggle against the force of gravity to get out of the plug and on to the wire.   

       Gotta be kind to those little buggers that Thompson could almost see.
neelandan, Nov 13 2008

       Water rarely flows through rubber too. Perhaps a little seal (the rubber kind, not the fish-eating kind) would do the trick?
Mony a Mickle, Nov 13 2008

       What country are you in? What do these sockets and plugs look like? Post a link and I too will know what you are on about.
zeno, Nov 13 2008

       They make plugs that rotate so that they can be plugged in at any angle. They also make rotating sockets and pivoting sockets. [link] I think this idea is baked from all angles.
theGem, Nov 13 2008

       [zeno] picture a small flattish "wall-wart"
FlyingToaster, Nov 13 2008

       //What country are you in? // Kenya //What do these sockets and plugs look like?// 3-pin domestic plugs //Post a link and I too will know what you are on about.// I don't know where they are, if anywhere. Perhaps theGem knows...wait a minute, found the link. The pivoting socket would do it...just.
Mony a Mickle, Nov 13 2008

       (+) it actually took me a while to understand, but finally I got it....and your idea is a good one.   

       And while you're at it, you could consider some sort of 'ball and socket' deal, which will allow the cord an entire hemisphere of rotational freedom (this can take care of the 'left' and 'right' appliances also, no?)
samosa_pirate, Nov 14 2008

       That would do it. It is baked re the moving socket but not re moving plug.
Mony a Mickle, Nov 14 2008

       Yep, get it now. That needed fixing indeed
zeno, Nov 15 2008

       I also want this for UK 3-pin plugs. I could rotate the socket, but it's a double, and I want one going up and one down.   

       I think British safety standards specifically require the wire to come out the bottom though, which sucks.
xorsyst, Mar 12 2010

       I have an example of one right in front of me on the desk right now (three-pin because i'm in England), so that seems not to be so, [xorsyst].   

       Hello, incidentally.
nineteenthly, Mar 12 2010

       //I have an example of one right in front of me on the desk right now //
Where did you get it?
coprocephalous, Mar 12 2010


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle