Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
Business Failure Incubator

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Volumetric Flask

Need a "measurement" category, but for this, "fluid mechanics" will sort-of do
  [vote for,

See the link for existing types of volumetric flasks. In general, you fill them with fluid to a certain point, and the measure-marks along the tall thin top portion allows adding a precise amount of something else. Sometimes you can add an unknown volume of something else, and thus learn its volume. However, all the flasks shown have a problem that this Idea will address.

Certain things are too big to fit, to be added to the flask. Therefore I want a flask with both a top plug (some existing flasks have that) and a bottom that is removable. Consider that for a microwave oven, you can obtain a glass cooking dish that has a plastic lid that seals tightly. Such a lid could be applied to the wide-open base of the flask I desire.

So, with bottom in place, fill the flask to a certain level, insert top plug, turn upside down, remove bottom, add item too large to fit through the top, replace bottom, turn right-side up, remove top plug, and measure the volume of the item. Simple!

Vernon, Apr 06 2018

Existing Flasks https://www.google....VQKHf54AaYQ_AUICigB
As mentioned in the main text. [Vernon, Apr 06 2018]


       beaker ?
FlyingToaster, Apr 06 2018

       Archimedes' bath ... ?   

       Might be a bit cool by now, mind, but WKTE ...
8th of 7, Apr 06 2018

       Is the idea to be able to measure the volume of solid objects too big to fit through the neck of a standard flask?   

       One problem: true volumetric flasks are very precisely calibrated. Any removable parts are going to have re-fit very consistently in order to preserve accuracy. A plastic lid will be too flexible. A screw-on lid would have to be tightened up to exactly the same degree of tightth.   

       But there is already a much better way to do this, consisting of a tank that has a spout fitted part-way up one side. You fill the tank, until water just starts coming out of the spout. Then, you drop in your object, and collect the displaced water from the spout into a measuring cylinder or similar.
MaxwellBuchanan, Apr 06 2018

       "and a bottom that is removable."   

       I shudder to think what uses Sturton might find for one of those.
not_morrison_rm, Apr 06 2018

       [MaxwellBuchanan], if the flexibility of the bottom cover is a concern, it can be addressed by making only the edge of the cover flexible. You do know that the thicker a plate of plastic, the less flexible it usually is?
Vernon, Apr 06 2018

       Don't bewilder him, [Vern], he's never seen a plastic plate in his life.   

       Even the disposable crockery in the Buchanan family picnic basket is Sevres porcelain ... the ordinary dinner service is silver gilt, they keep the platinum stuff for "best".
8th of 7, Apr 06 2018

       hmmm, could you use a vacuum pump and know the volume of the liquid by how much air you pumped out?   


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle