Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
Naturally, seismology provides the answer.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



'N' Plates

An 'L' type plate for people new to the area
  [vote for,

Here in Britain we have two types of single lettered easy-on-easy-off plates.

'L' plates signify that the driver is a learner, and that it would be wise to keep your distance. The plate is usually a red 'L' on a white background.

Similarily, we also have 'P' plates. These signify that the driver has recently passed their test, thus alerting fellow drivers to potential 'rookie' mistakes. This plate is usually a green 'P' on a white background.

I imagine the above two plates are fairly universal in the western world.

I propose a third plate, the 'N' plate. This plate is idenitical in design, carrying the letter 'N' (perhaps in blue... let's go crazy). The 'N' plate plate is designed for the safety conscious driver that wishes to alert fellow drivers that they are new to the area. People whose jobs require alot of driving into unfamiliar land would benefit from this. Likewise, the casual holiday maker may also find it handy.

The theory behind this plate is that alot of crashes happen when non-local drivers are unfamiliar with the roads.

Five_Swords, Aug 23 2006

'L' and 'P' plates http://cgi.ebay.co....QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
[Five_Swords, Aug 23 2006]

warnings for obvious strangers http://www.virtualt...i-Driving-BR-1.html
where I live is even worse! [xenzag, Aug 25 2006]

R plates in NI http://news.bbc.co....ireland/5224390.stm
And learners must stay below 45mph [bibliotaphist, Aug 25 2006]

Please log in.
If you're not logged in, you can see what this page looks like, but you will not be able to add anything.
Short name, e.g., Bob's Coffee
Destination URL. E.g., https://www.coffee.com/
Description (displayed with the short name and URL.)

       It sounds as though in Britan the plates are registered to the driver/owner, and go from car to car with the driver.   

       Here in the colonies, we have different systems. In California, my current zone, the plates stay with the vehicle and you can't tell anything about the driver from looking at the plate.   

       I once (twice, actually), lived in Colorado, and there the plates were the property of the owner, and when you sold a vehicle you kept the plate. I don't know if they still have that system.   

       [phlish] And only that while in an instruction program. Once you're out, you are unmarked.
normzone, Aug 23 2006

       what about "O" plates for people who are old, and "S" plates for people who are just Stupid. In the Northeastern US I would love to have "NS" plates for people who have never driven in snow before. In NY the plates are specific to the registered owner of the vehicle and transfer from vehicle to vehicle.
jhomrighaus, Aug 23 2006

       I've provided a link.   

       [phlish] 'L' plates are usually seen on private cars, we have taxi-style signs on cars belonging to cars from motoring schools.   

       [normzone] British registration plates stay with the car. To clarify, my idea has nothing to do with registration plates.
Five_Swords, Aug 23 2006

       I have seen this exact idea suggested before, except it was T for tourist.   

       If a tourist does something crazy/oblivious, you can swear to yourself, but refrain from giving the finger lest they cease spending on trinkets.
Texticle, Aug 23 2006

       "I" plates for the I.D. Ten T drivers?
Klaatu, Aug 23 2006

       + These plates go in the window? At first I thought you stuck them on the licence plate.
I wonder why they don't use these in the US?
Zimmy, Aug 23 2006

       [Zimmy] The plates are usually magnetic, they're easily attached to (and detached from) the body of the car. Alternatives include plates with 'suckers' on them that stick to the inside of the window.
Five_Swords, Aug 23 2006

       In some states, learners have no identification at all. The states figure that they will get more respect without it.   

       In Indiana, the plates are numerically ordered by the alphabetical county of their registration. So, you can tell roughly where a Hoosier is from by their plate, if you happen to know which county corresponds to which number.
RayfordSteele, Aug 24 2006

       Why stop here; why not have 'A', 'C', or 'W' plates? These you display because you have a SatNav installed to drive around the block or are prone to using a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving... [+]
Azazello, Aug 24 2006

       There's actually another letter in Britain which was unaccounted for, the dreaded 'D' plate. Which really just means that the driver is learning - in Welsh.
fridge duck, Aug 24 2006

       I travel a lot and try to accomplish the same effect by leaving the Avis hang tag on the mirror. It is my own personal "I'm not from around here" sign.
cblunds, Aug 24 2006

       In Canada we have L and N stickers that must be placed in the rear window.   

       [phlish] is a bit wrong, here in Massachusetts we have different color plates and 1 or 2 just to make it confusing. I have been a driver in this state for a long time, so my plate has green numbers and letters and I only have 1 plate on the back. Newer drivers in the state have red lettering and must have 2 plates, so in that way one can tell if they are new to this state anyway.
xandram, Aug 24 2006

       [fridge_duck] //the dreaded 'D' plate//   

       - I always thought the 'D' plates meant the driver was drunk ?????   

       (I know its "Dysgwr" really... :-))
monojohnny, Aug 24 2006

       'Z' Plates for narcoleptics.
daseva, Aug 24 2006

       It is helpful that Enterprize puts little e stickers on the backs of their cars.
jhomrighaus, Aug 24 2006

       Also to clarify, the "P" plate has no legal standing whatsoever and is dangerous. The reason for this is that other drivers see you are a new driver and take liberties, wanting to get in front as soon as possible, putting the inexperienced driver in a worse position than not having the "P" plates. They also say the driver is nervous and indecisive, most sane people would not want to continue to carry plates on the car once qualified! The police even advise against their use.
webfishrune, Aug 24 2006

       //prone to using a hand-held mobile phone whilst driving//   

       That is illegal here, as is operating satnav or GPS whilist driving, or indeed the car stereo. However, handheld microphones for radio equipment is still allowed.
webfishrune, Aug 24 2006

       //'L' plates are usually seen on private cars, we have taxi-style signs on cars belonging to cars from motoring schools.//

The large signs on driving-school cars are an advertisement for the school; there is no legal requirement for anything to be displayed other than the 'L' plate.
angel, Aug 24 2006

       [phlish] Is the *u* near the *a* on your keyboard or do you insist I change my screen name?
xandram, Aug 24 2006

       Sorry to be negative, but there's a down side to all this. Carjackers will often rear-end collide with "stranger's" cars, and when they get out, that's when the real trouble starts. They particularly like to pick on hired cars so be wary [cblunds].   

       In my home town there are whole areas where the police only go in heavily armoured vehicles, and an 'N' plate would guarantee that your car would be petrol bombed into a fire ball with you in it. It's a nice idea for nice places where nice helpful folk live, so not boning it.
xenzag, Aug 24 2006

       I beleive the way things are done in Colorado now is that any time a vehicle changes hands, it gets a new license plate. While you are waiting for the new plates to arrive in the mail, you must tape a paper version of the plate in your window.   

       I don't know if the letters and numbers signify anything, but I know there are several different colors, whether you are an ordinary person (green), a firefighter (red), enjoy columbines (the state flower), or want to let others know that you are "pro-life" (yes, they have a license plate for that).
discontinuuity, Aug 25 2006

       Californian drivers need "WR" ("What's rain?") plates - especially those who go into 4-wheel skids at stop signs after a light shower of rain.
hippo, Aug 25 2006

       //the "P" plate has no legal standing whatsoever and is dangerous//   

       Not sure that's the case in Northern Ireland ?
monojohnny, Aug 25 2006

       Indeed, [monojohnny] --- [link].
bibliotaphist, Aug 25 2006

       I accept your apology. I think you are really funny. Someone else spelled it the same way, so I thought it was a conspiracy!   

       end of call, please hang up.
xandram, Aug 25 2006

       Why not just have the whole alphabet available for people to use? Then they could spell out whatever they liked . . .
SocialSuicide, Apr 05 2009

       The whole concept is new to me; I've seen drivers-education companies put "Student Driver" on their cars, but I sorta like the concept of requiring low-license grade drivers to equip their vehicles with same... not to humiliate them but simply so people can keep from spooking them unnecessarily. (hmm... wouldn't want them to get used to it though would you... and there would always be jokers who *would* try to spook them into a tree or something)
FlyingToaster, Apr 05 2009


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle