Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
This ain't rocket surgery.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Föhn wind photo naming shibboleth

  [vote for,

See link.

Show people a photo of this meteorological phenomenon and ask them what it's called. Look up what they say in the "Local examples" section of the article, and you can tell where they're from (as long as they're from one of those locations).

notexactly, Apr 01 2016

Föhn wind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foehn_wind
[notexactly, Apr 01 2016]


       This is an old idea...from Merriam Webster:   

       Simple Definition of shibboleth   

       : an old idea, opinion, or saying that is commonly believed and repeated but that may be seen as old-fashioned or untrue   

       : a word or way of speaking or behaving which shows that a person belongs to a particular group   

       By the way, thanks for the term - I need one of these winds for my D&D game this weekend, nice to know it exists.
normzone, Apr 05 2016

       How do you show someone a photo of a föhn wind? Won't the umlauts be out of focus?   

       I keep thinking of Clouseau ("You're wanted on the föhn, inspector.")
MaxwellBuchanan, Apr 05 2016

       What [MB] said - photos don't work.   

       I found the example personally interesting, though - I was able to figure out why "chinook" was in my pa's vocabulary, but "williwaw" will require further research.
lurch, Apr 06 2016

       + but you need something more general than foehn wind. Not all locations have that stuff. In one place I lived it's a big part of local weather. In another it's something unheard of.
ixnaum, Apr 09 2016


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle