To totally understand what I am thinking of you would have had to play the game fallout I and maybe II. I know movies from games have had a bad track record. But I wouldn't do the same old thing.
If you all are thinking "Jericho" I would not go in that direction. I would differ on almost all aspects
of idea's. most importantly is the series Jericho tries to be somewhat realistic, and it tries to sneak in "feel good" happy ending BS. Also it does not carry the idea of total nuclear destruction.
For those who haven't played the game fallout there a some themes that ring loud and clear, that I would like the series to follow.
1. Strong modern post-retro stylization, what I mean is what if the future looked more like the envisioned it would in the 50's and 60's. Then through in the idea of what if the cold war went hot, and everything that wasn't buried underground was annihilated from nuclear Armageddon.
2. Dark sardonic humor, I think can be be best illustrated by the following quote from it
"It's a peaceful village. Except for the plants possessed by evil spirits... and of course, the temple of trials filled with those deadly spear traps and the man-eating giant ants."
3. Mutations and characteristic of cult films ie: giant ants.
4. Wild west law system of outlaws and lawmakers in a liquid semi anarchistic environment. Of course instead of the six shooter and black hat, there will be chain guns, lasers and bio-mech power armor.
To give a better idea of how I would do it consider the following
1. action: think "Professional Killer" "gun smoke" "night of the living dead" mixed together
2. noir: think "Lost highway"
3. storyline: think "Gun smoke" "law and order" "lost in space" "scarface" mixed together
Some things that I would deviate from
1. most series follow one or a few characters along some storyline. In my series would have each episode stand on its own, It would change main characters and or the locations on each episode. Sometimes the main characters will be good guys, sometimes they will be bad guys. Sometimes the good guys will will, sometimes the bad guys will win. There would rarely be a happy ending. the endings would usually end in dark shades of gray.
The contuity of the story would be carried by the envoronment. You could think of the cities and villages as charactors that evolve as if they are the protagonists. Even though the show would follow a seemingly random storyline and charactors.
And another thing is, though the social political structure would be remeniscent of western flics. The thing I hate about those is during the action scene everybody misses. Its like those stupid coyboys don't know how to aim. In my series, everyone would be deadly accurate or die.