Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
You could have thought of that.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Microwaveable flatware, utensils, silverware

Microwave a plate of spaghetti with a fork in it.
  (+4, -1)
(+4, -1)
  [vote for,

It would be nice to stick a cleanable, reuseable spork in a plate of something to be microwaved.

It would be nice if the spork didn't explode or shatter or burn the user.

I find no manufacturer who specifically claims that a common Western style eating utensil is microwave-safe.

crok, Jan 01 2012

Baked in the microwave http://princesswith...-spork-buying-guide
The plastic model, obviously. [Alterother, Jan 01 2012]


       wood ?   

       In the meantime either check the leftovers before you nuke it, or don't put a fork in the bowl before you put it in the fridge the day before.   

       [marked-for-deletion] not an idea.
FlyingToaster, Jan 01 2012

       You could probably manage this in ceramic, but you're going to lose a fair number of knives and forks. (the spoons can probably be made solid enough)
MechE, Jan 01 2012

       Light My Fire sporks and camping utensils. <microwave- safe link>   

       I already knew about them, but they came up on the first page when I googled 'microwave-safe utensil'. Research much?
Alterother, Jan 01 2012

       Jackass much? Indeed, that link does answer the question. I figured someone in the world would have thought of the idea and acted upon it. Thanks. (Incidentally, the link provided is not in the first one hundred results for that search string. Odd!)   

       {The CSS or html on this site is a bit wonky.} Anyway, to 21_Quest: for instance: take leftovers to work. The least filthy place to store a fork during the day is with the food--and during the microwave moments--in the oven itself. Most disposable utensils are flimsy or brittle. I do not know how hot a non-brittle, non-flimsy material would get. Good point!   

       Again, Alterother has found a solution.
crok, Jan 02 2012

       //Jackass much ?//
yes... what's your point ?

       meanwhile, take a gander at the "help" button on the left-hand side: wishes ain't fishes. For instance "lunchbox with a combination lock" is often speculated on (dammit) already.
FlyingToaster, Jan 02 2012

       // Jackass much? //   

       As often as I can get away with it.
Alterother, Jan 02 2012

       It's yet another microwave oven myth that you can't safely microwave metal cutlery and other objects. Under some conditions, metal can create conditions that are, depending on the observer, entertaining or alarming, possibly somewhat damaging to the oven, or in extreme cases, actually dangerous (but only if left running unattended for a long time, in which case there may be a risk of containment failure or fire).   

       Those conditions are:
1) Food entirely enclosed in thick metal. This creates a condition equivalent to running the oven completely empty, and is probably bad for the magnetron, but not massively dangerous.

       2) Very thin metal, such as steel wool or thin strips of foil. These can heat up and melt, and often create sparks.   

       3) Metal that is in point contact with, or separated by a very short distance from, another piece of metal (including the metal case of the oven). This creates sparks.   

       If there is a reasonable amount of food in there as well, 2) and 3) are fairly mild, although the finish on the oven could be damaged, and the metal objects could become hot and burn you if you picked them up.   

       Ordinary metal cutlery is perfectly safe, as long as it doesn't brush against the side of the oven or another piece of metal. For instance, a spoon in a mug of coffee, or a fork on a plate of food, is a complete non-event.   

       Wood, on the other hand, can heat up and even char or burst into flames (but only in extreme cases, such as a smallish piece of wood, on its own, heated for a longish time).   

       I should add that the tines of a fork do heat up (but not alarmingly) if exposed, as they are on the thinnish side. Shoving the fork into some food prevents that.
spidermother, Jan 12 2012

       In fact, you can easily turn your microwave into a home foundry to melt precious metals.
Giblet, Jan 12 2012

       Or make the cutlery from niobium, which won't spark, explode, combust or make any fuss whatsoever.
MaxwellBuchanan, Jan 12 2012

       Forks should not be microwaved, as at minimum it can easily damage the fork. If the arc from the tines brushes the metal edge of the microwave it can also damage that. Spoons or non-serated knives are much less of a risk. Likewise thin metal decorations on dishes can be significantly damaged, and damage the surrounding ceramic and glaze.
MechE, Jan 12 2012

       [MechE] I think I made all those points, except that I consider //Forks should not be microwaved, as at minimum it can easily damage the fork// to be far too strong - unless the fork is on its own. I just microwaved an ordinary dining fork, completely exposed alongside a container with about 250 mL of water. After 2œ minutes, the water was nearly boiling, but the fork was just barely warm. Try it!   

       Note that all my statements above are based on my own understanding and experimenting, and not on the common microwave do and don't lists, which are on the cautious side.   

       I have deliberately melted and vaporised thin metal (and melted glass and stone), generated arcs and plasmas, charred and burned wood, and more. I have also tried and confirmed all the things that I claim to be non-events.
spidermother, Jan 13 2012

       I've seen stainless pit under microwave strength arcs.
MechE, Jan 13 2012

       I can easily believe that; but the piece of stainless steel would have to be (a) very thin or pointy, or (b) moderately thin or pointy and the only thing in the oven.   

       Just for fun, I gave a fork 10 seconds on high with nothing else in the oven. Sure enough, it gave a bright discharge flash from one of the tines; if I'd left it there much longer, I would expect to get visible damage.   

       A good rule of thumb is that "the power has to go somewhere". A plate of food or a cup of water is a much stronger microwave absorber than a fork, and a bigger target; but when there's nothing else to absorb the microwaves, the fork (potentially) cops it all.
spidermother, Jan 13 2012


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle