Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
"My only concern is that it wouldn't work, which I see as a problem."

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Savory Yogurt

Down with tutti frutti, and up with meat!
  [vote for,

I eat a cup of Greek yogurt every day. But I'm getting sort of tired of fruit flavors, and being a vegetarian, I need to get lots of protein whenever I can. Hence...

Savory yogurt.

Pizza yogurt, eggplant parmigiana, steak, and even liver flavored yogurt. With big chunks of meat for those who love their protein in that form. Lots of cheese for us who eat dairy, and maybe even braised tofu and broccoli for vegans.

Yummy and healthy too!!! Get your spoonful of protein today.

blissmiss, Dec 20 2018

Prader-Willi Syndrome https://en.wikipedi...syndrome#Behavioral
Genetic, incurable, tragic. [8th of 7, Dec 21 2018]

Savory yogurt 3 ways... https://foxeslovele...-yogurt-three-ways/
Mmmm... [RayfordSteele, Dec 23 2018]

Please log in.
If you're not logged in, you can see what this page looks like, but you will not be able to add anything.
Short name, e.g., Bob's Coffee
Destination URL. E.g., https://www.coffee.com/
Description (displayed with the short name and URL.)

       We prefer natural yoghourt, which of course isn’t sweet, like the fruit flavoured ones are.
Ian Tindale, Dec 20 2018

       <Notes use of first person plural/>   

       <Frantic searching of databases to check we haven't accidentally Assimilated [IT]/>   

       <Collective sigh of relief/>
8th of 7, Dec 20 2018

       Greek yogurt works well in 2 savory dishes - naan breads and tandoori coating. I've been wondering whether you can marinade parboiled potatoes and end up with tandoori roasties.
bigsleep, Dec 20 2018

       Medium rare.
whatrock, Dec 20 2018

       Is this a flavour?
pocmloc, Dec 20 2018


       Unless it's bacon, of course.
MaxwellBuchanan, Dec 20 2018

       ^ [+] bacon.   

       // Is this a flavour? //   

       No, because yoghurt is, like reality TV, basically tasteless.   

       Nor is it really a recipe; more of a serving suggestion.   

       Oh, she's clever, that one ... always sneaking stuff in under the radar.
8th of 7, Dec 20 2018

       Most supermarket yoghurt, and most yoghurt sold as ‘Greek Yoghurt’ is dull and tasteless. Go to your local Middle Eastern shop and get some Labneh instead.
hippo, Dec 20 2018

       Due to the intrinsic ambiguity of English grammar, such a shop would be located East of Istanbul and/or Suez, meaning that something more than a short bus ride may be needed.   

       We suggest that "Go to your local shop which sells genuine Middle Eastern food products" is more accurate.
8th of 7, Dec 20 2018

       But I might live in the Middle East, in which case it would be slightly less ambiguous
hippo, Dec 20 2018

       True: but you wrote "Go to your local Middle Eastern shop" which is an instruction to the reader, not yourself.   

       If you had written "Go to my local Middle Eastern shop" then your point would be valid, but that also assumes a priori knowledge of your personal location.
8th of 7, Dec 20 2018

       We don't got no Middle Eastern anything here (neither hippo's kind or 8th's either).   

       I could take a 5 hour trip to Chicago and grab me some there...I live in the middle of nowhere. It'd be nice to try. Then I could just toss in my own savory additions.   

       [pocmloc], I asked myself that very question, but it was late and I didn't answer me.
blissmiss, Dec 20 2018

       //but you wrote "Go to your local Middle Eastern shop" which is an instruction to the reader, not yourself// - but I might have been addressing a different reader to you, for example one in the Middle East

[bliss] I feel somewhat blessed with an abundance of several very good Middle Eastern supermarkets (sorry, supermarkets selling Middle Eastern food) as well as a big supermarket selling only Polish food and various suppliers of all sorts of Indian food.
hippo, Dec 20 2018

       // I might have been addressing a different reader to you, for example one in the Middle East //   

       But the statement is a general one, and if readers are evenly distributed geographically the chance that any one reader is located in the area known as "The Middle East" is in proportion to the total area of the planet, including the oceans. If (being generous) the "Middle East" represents 5% of the planetary surface, then the chances of the reader not being there are 95%, which doesn't seem like good odds.   

       As [bliss] confirms that // We don't got no Middle Eastern anything here // that's at least one reader who's definitely not in your target audience.   

       // Polish food //   

       We tried that, and took quite a shine to it ...
8th of 7, Dec 20 2018

       Starring Martin Sheen
Ian Tindale, Dec 20 2018

       Anyway I think this idea is potentially bakeable in a very simple way.   

       1 Get plain (aka natural, unflavoured) yoggert   

       2 Get foodstuffs of flavour desired (e.g. Pizza, eggplant parmigiana, steak, liver, cheese, braised tofu, and/or broccoli)   

       3 Add item 2 to item 1.   

       4 eat item 3.   

       5 goto 1
pocmloc, Dec 20 2018

       Congratulations, thanks to your ill-considered GOTO you've defined Prader-Willi syndrome. <link>
The only way out is presumably to press <Ctrl-C>.

       We suggest   

       #include <EOSSACR.H>   

       // essential header file !   

       // plain, flavour_desired are assumed to be GLOBAL STATIC
// hungry() is a function returning BOOL

       int stop_being_hungry ()   


       FOOD_TYPE item_1, item_2, item_3;   


       item_1 = Get_yoghurt (plain);   

       // (aka natural, unflavoured)   

       item2 = Get_foodstuffs (flavour_desired);   

       // (e.g. Pizza, eggplant parmigiana, steak, liver, cheese, braised tofu, and/or broccoli)   

       item_3 = item_1 + item_2;   

       eat (item_3);   

       } until (hungry() == FALSE);   

       return (VOID);   


       But more efficiently:   

       #include <EOSSACR.H>   

       // essential header file !   

       // plain, flavour_desired are assumed to be GLOBAL STATIC
// hungry() is a function returning BOOL

       int stop_being_hungry ()   



       eat ( Get_yoghurt (plain) + Get_foodstuffs (flavour_desired));   

       } until (hungry() == FALSE);   

       return (VOID);   

8th of 7, Dec 21 2018

       [pocmloc], just like every half-baked idea, for the most part here, there exists a usually (non)-problem post that can easily be remedied by a simple stupid solution.   


blissmiss, Dec 21 2018

       Hey are you calling my solution stupid? I worked on it for hours!
pocmloc, Dec 21 2018

       Never, P, never.
blissmiss, Dec 21 2018

       // I worked on it for hours! //   

       You're a worse programmer than we thought, then. It took us just a few minutes to produce properly coded C that could be compiled and linked; it took you "hours" to excrete that sad excuse for BASIC pseudocode ? For shame, [poc], for shame ...
8th of 7, Dec 21 2018

       Try Lebanese yogurt. Start with Greek plain, (not vanilla), and add fresh mint, dill weed, and a little olive oil. Wasn't bad.   

       I also like it with some mint and honey.
RayfordSteele, Dec 22 2018

       That sounds good. Awful good. I think I will try it.
blissmiss, Dec 22 2018

       // I also like it with some mint and honey. //   

       Yes, everyone's heard the rumours.
8th of 7, Dec 22 2018

       Also good if you swap out the dill for garlic and lemon. Or grated cucumber. Great as a dip or spread.
RayfordSteele, Dec 23 2018

       Reasons this is an excellent idea:   

       1) A Turkish immigrant in the U.S. became an instant billionaire renting an old factory to make traditional yogurt.   

       2) Vegetarians need a reason to find and eat tofu   

       3) The co-creator of one wildly famous ice cream had, medically, no sense of taste, and thus relied on texture of the ingredients added.
4and20, Jan 09 2019

       3 things I've done, [bliss]y...   

       1. Stuffed pork chops with bread/yoghurt stuffing. Very tasty, but it fails your vegetarian requirement.   

       2. Mushroom caps with onion/garlic/spinach/yogurt stuffing. Exceedingly yummy, but fails your non-DIY requirement.   

       3. A bowl of tzatziki sauce next to the mouse pad. This would allow you to dip your chips or celery or carrots or pretzels or finger in the sauce, and then enjoy, without even breaking eye contact with the halfbakery.
lurch, Jan 10 2019

       Slow-cooked lentil curry, [blissmiss]; soft like yoghurt, savoury (and protean) like meat, almost. Given the right seasoning.
pertinax, Jan 11 2019

       //Given the right seasoning.//   

       Equal parts cinnamon, coriander powder and turmeric.   

       I made a batch of stiffish dal with onions, green beans and cauliflower to make some spicy burritos for freezing last week. For extra meatiness I added chickpeas and some fried turkey at the last minute, but the taste with just the chickpeas is really meaty.   

       Quite a treat to get a curry after 3 mins in microwave.
bigsleep, Jan 11 2019


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle