Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
Bunned. James Bunned.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Stymier Eradication System

open to suggestions for different name
  [vote for,

What do you call these things, places in systems where there is a really obvious stoppage and no easy way to break it. Ok for instance: There are three things on youtube that prevent that system from being used a lot more: there is no easy multi-email invite system, there is a 10 minute limit on videos, there is a mysteriously appearing and disappearing multi video play option. All of these are easy fixes but you cant suggest them without throwing them in the circular feedback file, or complaining about them on halfbakery. Another example: that sign that everyone knows on the highway that, the first time you pass it it makes you go the wrong way, but after you have been burned once you know the ropes and you aviod the problem but all the newbies keep getting burned but no one cares about newbies right? What is the name for these general places in systems. There needs to be a short name that everyone knows, and a simple place to submit them for fixing. Someone needs to keep this kind of place totally simple and transparent, sort of like the halfbakery. When you google things like this there are very often people complaining about them on various unintuitive and advertisment-laden forums, but no simple and relatively universal way to get things fixed with accountability, like for instance a government that works. Is that asking too much?

Another general example is the occurance where there is one big thing that stops a company-run system from being easy to use, but it is not in the interest of the company to let you know that because then you will go somewhere else to look for a fix to your issue. This always happens with compatability issues between softwares. So I have to spend an hour looking around the Itunes site before I figure out that my player wont work with Itunes and there is no information about it on the Itunes site, but when you google it there are lots of haphazzard conversations that start, "Itunes incompatible with most popular player etc." but then alot of advertizements and nonsense and randomly answers that are not authoritative etc.

I guess what I am asking for here is a part of Wikipedia that deals with system blockages, whatever the short term for that is - in any kind of system - software, traffic etc.

complaints.com or something more positive - fixes.com or getshitdone.com or theendofcapitalism.com or something

JesusHChrist, Jan 14 2009

oops http://www.complaints.com/
[JesusHChrist, Jan 14 2009]

oops http://www.fixes.com/
[JesusHChrist, Jan 14 2009]

Urban Problem Reporting example http://www.fixmystreet.com/
This element is at baked, at least. It has worked for me in regards to graffiti. [Aristotle, Jan 15 2009]


       We call those "bugs". Youtube calls them "features".
Spacecoyote, Jan 15 2009

       A "government that works" is very much in the eye of the beholder.   

       Besides if you break this one down you'll see that examples of the various elements already exist. See link for reporting site that I've found to be successful.
Aristotle, Jan 15 2009

       Protest. Tape a sign to a pitchfork, stand next to the problem, and chant until someone fixes it. This would be more worthwhile than most jobs. As an added bonus, you could light your sign on fire for a pitchfork-torch!
sninctown, Jan 18 2009

       So your take on this idea is angry mobs for hire?
Spacecoyote, Jan 18 2009


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle