Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
There's no money in it.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Ant Farm Bannisters

  (+10, -4)
(+10, -4)
  [vote for,

Clear hollow tubing bannisters with an ant farm inside them, with one end connected to the outside world so that they can get out to forage around.

Pause to reflect on the industry of the humble ant as you trudge up the stairs in your home, or office building when the elevator is out of action.

xenzag, Feb 11 2008

watch out for the finial extreme_20banisters...perimental_20phase)
[po, Feb 12 2008]


       You could run power up them as well...
wagster, Feb 11 2008

       If you connected the ant farm to the real world, wouldn't they just move out?   

       Though I have seen a bee (or maybe wasp?) hive in a museum, the innards visible, and the insects flying in and out via a plastic corridor to the window. So the technology exists.
DrCurry, Feb 11 2008

       Leave honey at the top. Or breadcrumbs.
wagster, Feb 11 2008

       Or ant porn.
MaxwellBuchanan, Feb 11 2008

       Ant porn newell post.
wagster, Feb 11 2008

       Don't talk about my Aunt Poune like that.
phoenix, Feb 11 2008

       I don't want ants in my house. In fact, I go to great measures to ensure ants stay out of my house...
theleopard, Feb 12 2008

       At least it's not worm farm bannisters.
skinflaps, Feb 12 2008

       When we lived in a wooden house we used to keep termites.
hippo, Feb 12 2008

       The greatest irony is that the entire Earth is but a Human farm belonging to a pupae of one of our galactic Ant overlords.   

       sp. "banister", unless you are referring to Sir Roger.
AbsintheWithoutLeave, Feb 12 2008

       And 'newel', looking at it. Amazing that I've got those both wrong considering how many banisters, newel posts and balustrade I've dealt with.
wagster, Feb 12 2008

       <I'm A Pedant But I Can't Think Of The Right Word> Banisters are the upright posts. The bit you slide down is called something else. </IAPBICTOTRW>
jtp, Feb 12 2008

       The upright posts are balusters. Banister (or bannister) started out as a variant of baluster, but has now come to mean the handrails as well, as immortalized in:   

       "As Rose collects the money in a cannister
Who comes sliding down the bannister?
The vicar in a tutu
He's not strange
He just wants to live his life this way."
-- The Smiths, "Vicar in a Tutu"
jutta, Feb 12 2008

       Bannister is also correct. At least according to the old www.dictionary.com.
methinksnot, Feb 13 2008


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle