Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
A hive of inactivity

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Get a Handle On

Instant added gripping for temperature extreme beverages
  [vote for,

'Round here at the nine-dash-five office there is a gal who uses a broken mug for her daily cuppa. The vessel part works just fine but the gripability is severely lacking. Alright, the handle is downright missing. There's just a little hook at the top and a nub at the bottom. Whenever her cuppa is especially hot, the ability to hold the cup is reduced. Her thinking is that since the vessel is still sea-worthy, there's no point in wasting the earth's precious porcelain to throw this one away. As she is an amateur boxer, we all agree whole-heartedly with her.

My proposal is for an aftermarket attachment to your mug of choice that replaces a broken handle or adds a second one to your beverage container. This device would have slight flexing to allow you clip it over the top lip and bottom edge of your mug. Either a dense sturdy plastic or lightweight metal would suffice. If your morning burst of wake-up was brewed/steeped at an excessive temperature, you could still hold the mug.

For cups that have no bottom lip, a ring would be necessary to place the vessel into before clipping the top part over the rim. However, since there are a myriad of configurations of height, slope, and diameter, this may be too onerous to tackle.

Of course heat need not be your only enemy. On a hot summer day you'll want to pre-chill your pint glass before filling it with a frothy beverage. If the degrees are too low to make holding it comfortable, you have two options: insert a straw and suck or attach a Handle-On. Whilst the former option may have its advantages, it may be a bit daft in a social setting.

At least three sizes would be necessary: Small for a typical tea cup (and possibly a slightly different design to take into account the underslope of the tea cup; Standard for most coffee/tea mugs; Massive for good old pints or quarts (Though I don't know of many pubs that give you a good quart at once anymore). Of course it can be ported in your purse or pocket ("Is that a Handle-On in your pocket or are you just happy to see me carrying these suds to your table?').

bdag, Oct 13 2009

Please log in.
If you're not logged in, you can see what this page looks like, but you will not be able to add anything.
Short name, e.g., Bob's Coffee
Destination URL. E.g., https://www.coffee.com/
Description (displayed with the short name and URL.)


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle