Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
No, not that kind of baked.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Motherboard Irrigation

  (+10, -2)(+10, -2)
(+10, -2)
  [vote for,

Dust gets all over my motherboard. Probably because of the air flow or static electricity or something. The only real way to get your motherboard nice and clean is to spray all the nooks and crannies with compressed air.

Have a simple loop of pipe around all the parts on the motherboard with appropriately spaced holes so that a single burst of compressed air can loosen all the dust particles quickly and effectively. You may then proceed to vacuum up all the debris before it settles again.

mitxela, Apr 06 2009


       It's not really irrigation, is it? That would imply cutting grooves into the mother board. It probably needs a whole new word, such as 'transflation'.
pertinax, Apr 06 2009

       I suppose so. My garden irrigation system is just a hosepipe with holes in it, though.
mitxela, Apr 06 2009

       word bun to [pertinax] for 'transflation'.
zen_tom, Apr 06 2009

       I think an oil bath air filter would be cooler.
WcW, Apr 06 2009

       //I think an oil bath air filter would be cooler.//   

       The reason I thought this up was so that it would be very easy but without changing your set up very much at all.
mitxela, Apr 06 2009

       Wouldn't it be a case of ventilation or "turbulent dust arousal"?
Aristotle, Apr 07 2009

       i'm not convinced that the many holes will have adequate pressure to loosen the dirt.
loonquawl, Apr 07 2009

       I seem to remember a scene in "Gattaca" where Ethan Hawke goes over his keyboard with a sort of micro-vacuum cleaner to keep fallen skin cells and hair follicles from falling into the cracks and incriminating him.   

       One of those, anyway.
neuro, Apr 07 2009

nick_n_uit, Apr 07 2009

       "static fire suppression system" --> "static dust exsufflation system"
notexactly, Apr 11 2019

       //It's not really irrigation, is it? That would imply cutting grooves into the mother board.//   

       Grooves are irrelevant to the meaning. But it's still the wrong word.   

       From dictionary.com:   

       irrigation [ir-i-gey-sh/uh/ n] noun
1) the artificial application of water to land to assist in the production of crops.
2) Medicine/Medical . the flushing or washing out of anything with water or other liquid.

       If you're not using a liquid, you probably shouldn't use the word irrigation.   


       Suitable words I found are "depurate" (to make or become free from impurities) or perhaps "deterge" (1-to wipe or wash away; cleanse; 2- to cleanse of impurities or undesirable matter, as a wound).
Loris, Apr 11 2019

       Just like in the upper right of your keyboard may be Pause / Break, the upper left could be Escape / Expel
lurch, Apr 23 2019

       Ah, I like "motherboard exsufflation". Liberating the motherboard dust is somewhat like a sneeze -- and much like a yawn, would be likely to induce sneezes in those nearby.
mitxela, Apr 23 2019


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle