Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
May contain nuts.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Screwdriver with Wings

Not a sanitary product......
  [vote for,

Just earlier, I was trying to swap the HDD out of the very laptop that I was typing on. I managed to get it out of the computer, but the casing that held it to fit into the laptop proved impossible, it is back in there now.

I was using those little screwdrivers that come in a set of 5, they are made of stainless steel, have little ribs on them so you can grip the tool, and a piece on top that does not rotate with the driver to allow you to impart downward pressure.

Problem is, if you come up against a really tight screw, you can not get any leverage on it, as the shaft is so small. Soon your hands get sweaty from trying, and then it is all over. I stopped because I was going to end up stripping the screw head.

What I propose is little hinged levers, one on either side, press down with your palm so you don't strip the head and then rotate using the wings. Alternatively, you could have a bar with a round hole in the middle that fits the ribs on the shaft, just slide it up and turn. Even easier, just knock a small hole through each driver in the set and provide a bar that will slide through, much like with those socket tools.

safetyboy, Oct 04 2001

T-shaped screwdriver kit http://www.rvjourna...ges/prodreview.html
But the shape doesn't change [phoenix, Oct 04 2001, last modified Oct 04 2004]


       This is the driving force behind 90% of corkscrews I've seen.   

       <irrelevant> I thought at first that this was going to be a WIBNI involving a hovering screwdriver, to avoid losing it while making repairs in awkward places. </irrelevant>
Deity, Oct 04 2001

       They're called instrument screwdrivers or jewellers' screwdrivers, and each of mine has a little hole through the shaft for the (included) tommy bar (which is *not* four beats from a rock opera). So, baked-ish.
angel, Oct 04 2001

       I thought it was going to be a *really* good drink.
sdm, Oct 04 2001

       BAKED. You can get extra torque from a bit in a socket wrench adaptor
seal10, Oct 04 2001

       Or you could just use a normal screwdriver. I use the same sort of thing in the same place, but pad off to get the bigger driver when I need one. The reason the heads on most of the screws are hexagonal is to allow you to use a nut driver, too.
StarChaser, Oct 06 2001

       As angel points out, the suggestion in your last paragraph is already widely implemented; both my sets of small screwdrivers have the hole in the middle and an included rock opera.   

       Er, I mean to say, "Baked!". Sorry to be so verbose.
wiml, Oct 07 2001

       Included "tommy bar"? I don't think I've seen that. I'd just use another screwdriver through the hole and hope I didn't bend it.
supercat, Dec 31 2002


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle