Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
Professional croissant on closed course. Do not attempt.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.

user:
pass:
register,


                               

Edible LEDballs

LED + batterry encased in non-toxic plastic
  (+6, -3)
(+6, -3)
  [vote for,
against]

Encase a Light Emitting Diode, a small battery, and a light/heat sensing activation circuit in non-toxic, non-digestible translucent plastic. (I envision the diameter to be less than 2 mm).

When exposed to light or heat for the first time, the activation circuit turns on the LED, and keeps it on until the battery runs out. This is long enough to use these little plastic balls in specialty drinks (think Orbitz), lollipops, or icing for "light" croissants.

Alternately, the "core" can be encased in a soft gel-type material to make sure it does not get broken while being consumed.

I'm not sure how to make this less toxic...

cowtamer, Nov 06 2008

121 kg http://www.ncbi.nlm...44385?dopt=Abstract
Thats the force it would be required to withstand. [Voice, Nov 07 2008]

Ouch! http://tinyurl.com/lookspainfultome
[Jinbish, Nov 07 2008]

BioToy: H2O glow http://www.biotoy.com/h2oglow.htm
You're not supposed to drink it, but they did (wisely) test to make sure it's non-toxic. (To mice and rats, at least.) [jutta, Nov 07 2008]

[link]






       Why?
phoenix, Nov 07 2008
  

       For the same reason as sparkling candles, edible photographs, and Goldschlager...
cowtamer, Nov 07 2008
  

       eatable toys for the kiddies, but anything weaker than a rock will be bitten through and anything stronger will break teeth unless you have some very strong gell container indeed.
Voice, Nov 07 2008
  

       If the LEDs were really bright, there would be a nice soft, red glow from your abdomen after you'd swallowed the ball.
hippo, Nov 07 2008
  

       In places where raw sewage makes it to the sea, you would find a rather lovely light display.   

       This would act as a warning light-slick to locals and a shaming light-of-truth to jolt the relevant authorities into action.
DenholmRicshaw, Nov 07 2008
  

       ...and enable lots of hilarious "Does the sun shine out of your arse, or what?" jokes.
hippo, Nov 07 2008
  

       To make it less toxic, go with some form of luciferase as a light source instead of electronics.
jutta, Nov 07 2008
  

       It might be a good way to get kids to swallow pills, it it could be encased in medicine.   

       Or maybe that's not such a good idea.
nomocrow, Nov 07 2008
  

       I've thought about a chemiluminescent reaction, but can't think of anything less toxic. (I've played with oxidizing luminol with Hydrogen Peroxide, but that's not exactly friendly. Perhaps there is edible fluorescent stuff out there--but that's not nearly as cool). Are fireflies toxic?
cowtamer, Nov 09 2008
  

       Super bright LEDs inside the ears - now there is an IDEA.
neelandan, Nov 09 2008
  

       What about the pigs that were bred to glow in the dark? They should be non-toxic AND bacony
miasere, Nov 10 2008
  

       //Are fireflies toxic?//
Yes, which is one reason they're rarely used in pastries.
  

       Unless you intend to view [hippo's] sunshine, there's no need to have this stuff glow after consumption. You can make these things fluorescent, with a small external illuminator, or use fiber optics inside a drinking glass.
Amos Kito, Nov 10 2008
  
      
[annotate]
  


 

back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle