Half a croissant, on a plate, with a sign in front of it saying '50c'
h a l f b a k e r y
Free set of rusty screwdrivers if you order now.

idea: add, search, annotate, link, view, overview, recent, by name, random

meta: news, help, about, links, report a problem

account: browse anonymously, or get an account and write.



Clotting Gel

Clotting gel to stem blood loss from tramatic injury
  (+3, -1)
(+3, -1)
  [vote for,

So when a person gets a tramatic injury, like being shot or in a car accident they usually die of blood loss if they dont die right away from the injury. So i propose creating a quick setting non-toixc gel like compound which reacts with blood, clotting it, which can be sprayed on or in the wound of the patient, and can be easily removed with a disolving agent which is also non-toxic ofcourse. It has to be a gel becuase we dont want it entering the blood stream only covering the wound. Also its a stop gap measure until aid arrives, so it needs to be disovlable. It could be invaluable in combat injuries where medical attention is usually far away.


ddn, Jan 01 2001

Please log in.
If you're not logged in, you can see what this page looks like, but you will not be able to add anything.


       A valve utilizing a bellows to replace the conventional packing gland. One end of the bellows is welded to the rising stem; the other is sealed against the valve body.

The effect is to autotransfuse the victim from the site of a massive hemorrage to peripheral circulation. The critical plasma and its activated clotting factors is returned to circulation, and a shunt is used to expell fibrinated clots from the bellows reservoir.
reensure, Jan 01 2001

egnor, Jan 01 2001

       I'm not exactly sure, but it kind of looks like 'Put a bandage with a bag of blood attached on the wound and squeeze it to force new blood into the wound', kind of like a transfusion without a needle.
StarChaser, Jan 01 2001

       Plastiflesh, that staple of SF medikits!
centauri, Jan 04 2001

       Baked, I think. It's called fibrinogen, meaning 'former of fibrin'. Fibrin is a hard, insoluble substance used in this country (UK) to seal many small wounds. Soluble fibrinogen is converted to this on contact with both blood, air and the hormones released near a wound.
rjswanson, Apr 15 2001


back: main index

business  computer  culture  fashion  food  halfbakery  home  other  product  public  science  sport  vehicle